Monday 8 April 2013

Where it all began...


Remember when you were young?  I do.  I remember a time of dreams and expectations, and above all, a time of promises to myself to live a life less ordinary.  To achieve something truly exceptional before its all over.  One moment that has remained lodged in my memory was from a cold winter night in Grahamstown in the nineties, when I was a brash young first year student at Rhodes University.  I was having coffee with one of my residence mates, it was about 2am and we had been talking shit for several hours.  It was then that I noticed, for the first time, that my friend had a large map of Africa on his wall.  I had seen maps of Africa before, but this one was different.  In addition to the usual basic national borders this map featured a level of detail that I had never seen before.  This map had roads, and these roads led directly from places I knew all the way to places I had only read about and even to places I had always thought were fictional, like Timbuktu.

I was hooked.  I returned to that map many times that year, following the thin, winding tendrils of road from the Johannesburg I knew to places that became the growth points of my dreams.  Places like Ouagadougou.  Tambacounda.  Bangui.  Morogoro.  Tataouine.  Yes, Tataouine – where Luke Skywalker grew up.  But more on that later.  I resolved during those bold, dreamtime days that I would venture up those winding roads, explore those mysterious places for myself and live the exceptional life I had been craving for so long.
Rhodes was a great university for honing my newfound interest in the glorious continent to the north, as it was a popular choice for students from places like Zimbabwe, Kenya, Ghana and Malawi.  I got to know many of them and never tired of asking them about the places they came from.  In time I started going to visit, and I’ve been discovering Africa ever since.  By 2006 I was engaged to an irresistible force of nature named Tracy Hammond, and we were looking for wedding venues in Malawi and Mozambique by driving there in our Honda Jazz.  It turned into an epic three week adventure that I will write about next week.


By Matthew Angus-Hammond (@T2T_Matt)

No comments:

Post a Comment